Nearly a Century of Wood Rot Remediation
Of all the fungi that cause damage to timber, dry rot is one of the most devastating. Also known as Serpula Lacrymans, dry rot occurs when wood becomes too wet. You may be wondering how to get rid of this fungus. We provide a few ways below on how you can deal with this frustrating problem.
There are many causes of damp timber within a home, including, leaking pipes, faulty drainage, condensation, or broken roof tiles. As dry rot spores develop, they become a wood-destroying fungus that attacks the damp timber. The result is expensive structural damage that could eventually cause a house to collapse.
The longer you leave dry rot untreated, the greater damage your property will incur. Therefore, it’s important to call a Sacramento dry rot repair specialist as soon as you notice any signs of a problem. Good Life Construction, based in North Highlands, is available to assess the full extent of dry rot damage in your home and will advise you on the best method of repair.
Who Repairs Dry Rot?
For minor damage, you may be able to repair dry rot yourself with some basic tools and materials. However, for more significant damage, it's best to hire a professional dry rot contractor with experience in repairing wood rot.
At Good Life Construction, we have extensive experience in repairing wood rot in Elk Grove, CA, and the surrounding areas. Our team of dry rot experts has the skills and expertise needed to identify the root cause of the problem and provide effective solutions to repair the damage.
Because the fungus Serpula Lacrymans prefers damp, dark conditions, dry rot is typically found in out-of-sight areas, such as in attics or lofts, under stairs, and behind plaster. It will appear in different forms, including spores, hyphae, mycelium, or sporophore, depending on what stage it’s at during its lifecycle. Spores look like an orange-brown dust, hyphae appear as fine grey strands, and mycelium as a white or grey substance that looks like wool or cotton. Sporophore is the fungus’s final mushroom-like form, which looks like a red-orange flat pancake.
In addition to seeing the fungus itself, there are several other signs that dry rot may be present in your home, including:
- Damp or musty smells
- Brittle timber
- Damaged or decaying timber
- Deep cracks in timber grain
- Shrinking or warping timber
If you notice any of these signs in your property, it's essential to take action immediately. The longer you wait, the more extensive the damage will become, and the more expensive it will be to repair.
Depending on the extent of the damage, most dry rot can be repaired. The steps needed to repair it will vary depending on the extent and location of damage done to the wood. Some cases only require minor repairs – adding a brace to the current structure, removing the most damaged sections, etc. However, with more extensive damage or damage to areas that affect the structural integrity of your home like trusses and floor joists, replacement is likely a better option.
DRY ROT REPAIR PROCESS:
- Identifying and eliminating the source of moisture, which will prevent the fungus from continuing to feed and grow
- Removing all wood that is infected or damaged, including flooring, door frames, skirting boards, and structural timbers
- Treating existing structural timbers in the impacted area with a fungicide treatment to provide a barrier against additional fungi growth
- Replacing the damaged wood with pre-treated lumber, which will prevent future dry rot infestation
In some cases, it may be necessary to add a dehumidifier to the area to remove excess moisture and prevent future fungus growth.
The Cost of Dry Rot Treatment
Dry rot repair costs are going to vary a lot depending on the surface area treated. If you have only one very small area affected that is easy to access, it might only be $100 - $300. Bigger areas cost anywhere from $1000 - 10,000 and beyond. You’re going to need an inspection to really know the scope of the issue.
With Good Life Construction, this doesn't have to be something that you pay upfront. We encourage anyone who needs dry rot repair to look into our available financing options.
Prevent wood rot damage in your home and do your part to limit exposure of wood in your home as much as possible. Here are some steps you can take to prevent dry rot damage and protect your home:
- Siding: If you think you might need siding repair for your home, call Good Life Construction.
- Plumbing: Plumbing leaks are a common cause of dry rot, so if you notice a plumbing issue, take care of it right away. When checking your bathroom and sink areas, inspect around and underneath any cabinets, toilets, and showers for signs of leaks or excessive moisture.
- Ventilation: Having the proper ventilation throughout your home is essential to remove excess moisture from the air. Areas such as the kitchen, bathrooms, attic, and crawlspace are especially important.
- Roofing: Regularly roof inspection throughout the year to avoid dry rot, water damage, or mold. Prevent damage by installing gutters to control the rainfall or clean up any debris.
- Deck: If you are looking for a deck repair contractor, call Good Life Construction.
- Landscaping: Check your lawn sprinklers regularly to ensure it sprays on your lawn and not on your home’s exterior trim. Repair or reposition any damaged sprinklers to avoid damages in the long run.
Our team of experts are here to help you restore your property to its former glory. When you need dry rot repair in Sacramento, rely on our experienced team to provide a fast and effective solution. We’ll make sure the job is done right the first time, working until you’re completely satisfied.
Efficient Turn Around Times
Not only can we handle any construction project, we will get it done quickly and completely! We won't leave until it's complete!
Clear and Effective Communication
One of our primary goals is to keep the line of communication open. You'll never have to wonder what is happening with your project.
Over 97+ Years of Combined Experience
Our team has seen and done it all! We have experience in every aspect of the construction business.
Craftsmen With Strong Moral Character
You will never encounter a rough bunch when it comes to our team. Our team doesn't curse or smoke. Instead, you'll catch our team singing and whistling as they work. We only hire the BEST craftsmen.
All Crews Are In-House
Our team is entirely trained and managed by us. We don't use subcontractors which means there are no lapses in work while we wait. We control the entire process including timeline, costs, and quality.
Competitive Pricing For Quality Work
We offer premier service at affordable prices. Our team prides itself on delivering the highest quality at reasonable prices anyone can afford.